Monday, April 4, 2016

Birthday Party on a Budget



Our daughter had her 8th birthday on the weekend.  It was a huge success, 11 of her friends came for the celebrations. 5 spent the night. We pulled it off on a pretty good budget, and even had lots left over.
We have a birthday box of supplies in the basement. When there are sales on streamers, paper plates and napkins I pick them up.  I was at Giant Tiger one day and saw cases and cases of these supplies for a quarter a piece. I know that we will always decorate the house with streamers and stocked up.  Also when we don’t blow up all the balloons in a pack, I throw them in a ziplock bag.  The balloons don’t need to match.  I have also seen bags of party supplies on Facebook groups and yardsales, although I haven’t purchased supplies these routes. 


I do “splurge” on the theme plastic table clothes and napkins right now. For $4 it is worth it for me as I feel the themes won’t last long. I have shared last year’s Ninja Turtle’s theme with my friend, and from another friend have borrowed banners.  It really takes a village on this frugal path.
We ordered two large pizzas, and two large garlic fingers.  We paid for it using our PC Points, but it would have cost us $39. 74 with the donair sauce.  I am always afraid that I will run out of food. We had one garlic fingers untouched, which are thrown in the freezer for our Friday night Pizza Nights. Also, we had one whole pizza left over.  When two friends picked up their boys, they had teenagers in the car that got pizza!  I bought 6 bags of chips, and 2 were left over. (don’t ask where they are, they were yummy!)  I popped lots of popcorn, cheap and healthier and was the biggest hit.  I made Shirley Temples in a big punch bowl at my daughter’s request. I think they all felt grown up.  A bottle of grenadine lasts FOREVER.
I have also bought 4 years ago 20 plastic reusable cups. I use those with juice instead of juice packs, and write the kids names in wipe off markers.  

Treat bags for the boys cost around $3 each with a reusable cup and a full size chocolate bar and mini ones suckers and caramels.  This year I am not doing all the trinket treat bags, they are a expensive and the stuff falls apart fast. The girls spent the night.  We had gift bags that were 6 for $2.  I had bought electric toothbrushes that can be decorated with stickers using coupons and they were on clearance, they cost me under $1 each. PLUS it gave them 20 minutes of entertainment and giggles.  There was also a bottle of nailpolish in each bag that I bought after Christmas sales for $5 for 10 bottles.  I have the left overs to donate to the school fair nail booth.  I had picked up after Valentine’s Day a box set of hand lotion, bubble bath and bath salts for $7 that was adorable with owls.  For $23 there were 6 treat bags, not too shabby.  Always look for things that can be used for treat bags, and think outside the box.  I have never pulled off treat bags this cheap, and better then trinket stuff.  When I used to do that style of treat bags, I bought after season. I bought a ton of bracelets of Christmas colours, and tops, rings etc. Guess what? Kids like red and green even at a birthday party! After the summer was over I bought a lot of bubbles, which still work the following season and will be for my youngest daughter’s friends at her party.  

 We have two kids and keep all left over supplies.
Please comment below, like and share and join Guess Who’s Cheap on Facebook!

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to add.... we (OK my husband...) made cupcakes instead of a cake, our daughter is obsessed with Cake Boss and wanted to try her skills;)

    ReplyDelete

Organizing for supper

Our deep freezer was bursting at the seams, a great problem to have, but it can be a challenge. I was soon going to count getting ingredient...